I first read the book “You are Going to be Okay” by Holly Gerth a couple of years ago, and just started reading it again. The message could not be more timely for me right now. We all have our struggles, and that is evident not just in my life but also in others. We can be reminded of how harsh life can be by just turning on the news where stories of devastation and destruction abound.
When surrounded with difficulties, it can be easy to forget that our circumstances do not define us. Also, when we start thinking this way we begin to doubt, become depressed, and allow lies from the Devil to overwhelm us. It’s in these moments where we need to encourage one another with the truth of God’s word. When having conversations with friends who are experiencing suffering and hardship, they are not looking for fancy advice or a long lecture about how they should be feeling. No, if you are like me, sometimes all one needs is coffee with a friend, a listening ear, prayer, or a phrase as simple as “you are going to be okay.” When sharing my struggles with others, the thing that helps me most is a friend who listens and reminds me gently who I am in Christ. She may not have all the answers but It’s amazing how within a few minutes of sharing and being reminded of God’s great love for me no matter what comes my way, my heart and mind instantly calms. Unfortunately, in this life we will never be problem free, but Jesus loved us so much that He died for us so that we could have hope and a promise of Eternal life. This type of love covers a multitude of sin and worry. He died and rose again so that we could live life abundantly and free.
In our suffering we are not alone. God is with us. Below are some simple truths from God’s word. Read each of these and allow God’s peace to fill your heart. While it may seem life will never be the same again, or you don’t know how you will make it another day, take heart my friend. Reach out to Jesus and let him hold you. His love will carry you and never let you go.
Encouragement for your Heart –
- Because of the Lord’s great love, our circumstances don’t have to consume us (Lamentations 3:22-23).
- Nothing can separate you from the love of Christ (Romans 8:38-39).
- We have this hope as an anchor for our souls — firm and secure (Hebrews 6:19).
- God is our refuge and strength and is a help to us in times of trouble (Psalm 46:1).
- No matter what we do or what our circumstances are God’s love will never fail us. No purpose of His can be stopped (Job 42:2).
- God promises peace to our hearts beyond our understanding (Philippians 4).
- In this world we will have trouble, but take heart I have overcome the world (John 16:33).
So take heart dear friends and allow these truths to dwell in your hearts and mind! I promise things really will be okay. Remember that the Lord’s mercies are new every morning.