A recent apology to my mom, and a Joni Eareckson Tada Devotional convicted me that I have lost my spirit of gratitude in the midst of a trial. In her devotional, Joni made a point that we always say we are thankful for God’s strength through a circumstance, but we are never actually thankful for the circumstance or affliction itself. Recently, I have dealt with continued health problems which I cannot control. However, I can control my attitude which is something I have fallen short of lately, and for that I am sorry. I want a consistent, healthy, and happy life but the one thing I am not consistent in lately is reading the Word of God. No wonder I do not have a spirit of gratitude, or no sense of peace. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says “to be thankful in ALL circumstances” All does not mean just when things are going my way, when I have everything I want, or when I am in good health. No, it means in everything. This reminder and conviction could not have come at a better time with the nearing of Thanksgiving. I am going to start being thankful now instead of waiting on life’s circumstances to make me thankful. Each day leading up to thanksgiving I am going to post about things I have to be thankful for, and reasons I have to rejoice. So here goes:
Today I am Thankful For:
– The gift of Salvation and my relationship with Jesus — His faithful love and joy!
– Parents that love me, and who have done everything in their power to make me happy and content in the midst of a trial. Their faithful love even when I am not so faithful amazes and humbles me.
– A best friend and sister who shares in my love for Jesus, music, chick flicks, and football. “Girl, you know that I love you more than my luggage!” 😉
– That I get to be home during my favorite time of year to enjoy my favorite holiday — the perfect smell of Thanksgiving that cannot be bought.
– Mom’s amazing cooking that never gets hold.
– The sweet and cozy taste of the perfect cup of coffee with just the right Christmas movie playing in the background.
In health or in this case sickness, it truly is the most wonderful time of the year, and I will choose to act like it. THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!
Will you join me on this journey of thankfulness? What are you thankful for today?